SharePoint Migration to Office 365: Is Manual Migration Practical for Large Data?
Posted In CategoryNews & Updates-
Angelica Gracious
10 hours agoI’m trying to decide whether a manual migration is realistic for a SharePoint environment containing years of business documents. The organization has several sites and document libraries, and different teams have their own folders, lists, and access requirements. Initially, the idea was to move everything manually, but I’m beginning to think the amount of validation required could make that approach difficult.
The manual process itself is not particularly complicated for a small environment. An administrator can create the destination sites, set up document libraries and lists, transfer the required documents, configure users and groups, and then ask users to verify their access. The challenge is keeping everything organized when the number of files and sites increases.
There is also the question of content that goes beyond ordinary documents. Metadata, file versions, folder structures, permissions, and lists may all be important to different departments. If these items are not considered during planning, users could receive their files but still find that the new environment does not work the way they expect.
For this reason, I’m researching different ways to SharePoint migration to Office 365 can be handled for larger environments. I would probably divide the project into assessment, pilot migration, full migration, validation, and final cutover instead of trying to complete everything in a single operation.
I also found the SysInfo SharePoint Migration Tool while comparing migration approaches. According to the product information, it supports SharePoint sites, document libraries, lists, metadata, columns, and supported versions. It also offers filtering and authentication options, which could reduce some of the repetitive work involved in a large migration.
That said, I don’t think any tool should replace proper planning. The source environment still needs to be assessed, unnecessary content should be identified, and users should test migrated data before the old environment is retired. Migration reports should also be reviewed so that failed or skipped items do not go unnoticed.
For administrators who have handled large SharePoint migrations, would you recommend a manual approach for a few dozen sites, or is dedicated migration software more practical? I’m particularly interested in how others handled validation and user access after the move.
